View Single Post
Old 09-06-2004, 01:24 AM   #22
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Hi!

Here are some of the thoughts I developed reading the chapter.

Why Run?

On previous chapters none of the hobbits stood up against a overtly hostile Nazgūl. All they did was talk bold and hope he goes away, or run away or hide. And you could only run and hide for so long against an enemy with extensive detection capabilities and fast steeds.

So it all comes to facing the enemy. The chapter begins and ends with facing the enemy.

Angmar's Siege of Amon Sūl . . . again

Aragorn's choice of refuge is darkly amusing. More than six hundred years ago the place was ravaged by the leader of those hunting them.

Strange Deliverance

In the succeeding chapters, Gandalf said the he had succeeded to draw away some of the Nazgūl, yet that still left five to attack Weathertop, including the Witch-King. What hope have four Hobbits and a Man (be he the heir of Isildur) against such enemies?

Their deliverance came (ironically) from the Witch-King. If he had not wounded the Ringbearer, surely they would not have withdrawn until their enemies are all dead, or the Ring is taken.

Of course I wonder why did he not choose to slay Frodo. Was it his cruelty, letting Frodo be tormented rather than be killed outright? If so, it was
Quote:
A small oversight; but it proved fatal. Small oversights often do. (UT III 3)
Just a Tidbit

The Nazgūl attack on Crickhollow is the only scene in LotR that did not involve any of the Fellowship (I think). But I feel you already know that.

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 09-06-2004 at 01:28 AM.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote