View Single Post
Old 08-30-2004, 12:26 PM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I agree here with Encaitare ..... especially since it was his Bree nickname .... to the Breelanders, the rangers were more or less vagabonds - in the classic phrase "IDHTBOM" - but I think Butterbur says something like he "strides about on those long-shanks of his" It much have seemed strange to the Bree people that someone who seemed like a tramp went about with a sense of purpose. It is also a reminder that Aragorn is different physically as well in lifestyle and mentality to the men of Bree ...... literally and metaphorically "above" them... I think Sam comes through strongly in this chapter ..... shows some of the qualities that will ensure the success of the quest... aspects which were largely neglected in the film. Although Sam is always respectful he is not automatically cowed by his "betters" - he speaks his mind to Aragorn, Glorfindel, Elrond, Faramir and no doubt others who don't spring instantly to mind, he shows his native intelligence both in suspecting Strider (quite reasonable in the circumstances) , and by his having learnt of the fall of Gil-Galad ... I have said more about Sam's education in "Master Samwise can read" and don't want to repeat ... but I do think it is interesting that Sam begins to come into his own when all the hobbits are in unfamiliar territory. Perhaps in the Shire and Bree he was more aware of the difference in education and experience and social status ..... out in the wilds being the heir of the Thain or the Master doesn't count for so much..... but perhaps I am reading too much into it.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote