View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #84
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
We're left wondering what Merry and Pippin's tests were, and I think as I continue in this reread it will be revealed. Considering the tests that were revealed in this chapter, we know Sam speaks true of his test, Boromir doesn't say what his test was but he doesn't have to, Frodo's test is to give the Ring to someone else...we will be able to figure out what Merry and Pippin's tests were at some point.
We also can presume Aragorn's test, because his wish comes true at the end of ROTK.

I think Pippin's test would have appealed to his sense of inferiority. He's always the goof in the group, the Fool of a Took, the overly curious one, the one to blurt things out, not to use his head, the young hobbit who knows himself that his real worth and input to the quest is at most as an amusing company. (Remind you of anyone? ) He's cheerful enough not to take that to heart, but he also doesn't have many illusions about it. So I thought that if he could be tempted by something, it's to be better, to be respected, admired. "So what if you are the youngest in the company - you are clever! If you take the Ring [or betray your friends in a different manner], everyone will realize your worth!"

Merry is more balanced and reserved of a personality, so not so easy to tip and not so easy to guess which way to push.

I was more curious about Gimli and Legolas' tests. Supposedly Gimli could have been promised a great Dwarven kingdom that would outshine Moria - or something to that extent, caverns jewels and forges, playing on typical Dwarf values. We know Gimli to be an admirer of said things, as we see in Moria and the Caves of Aglarond and in flashes throughout the story; yet he can curb his desire so that it is love rather than greed. And he would never choose Dwarven treasure over betrayal - it's the joy of his life but he is never greedy for it. I have a brief flashback here to his conversation with Elrond at the departure of the Fellowship. Gimli was all for swearing an oath to strengthen the weak will - and I imagine in moments like this he reminds himself that while not formally bound by an oath to accommodate for changes en-route, he is nonetheless bound by honour, as if he swore.

Legolas though - we barely know anything about Legolas. What could possibly tempt him? Tempt him sufficiently to make him seriously consider abandoning the quest?