View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Aww, no more love for Gollum? Or maybe the character was just done so well there's not as much controversy as there is with Frodo? (Gollum was one of the few on my list that I would say was portrayed about as good as can be hoped for...and certainly better than most others). It seemed to me in the popular media too, Gollum became somewhat of a cult classic, surpassing way beyond the silly Jar-Jar Binks of Star Wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
Well, first, I'm not happy that this scene was simply left out. It brings out the Smeagol to an extent no other scenes do, which makes it important for his characterization, if naught else. And it's simply beautiful and touching. Secondly, in the scene that we get instead, Gollum deliberately and actually acts against Sam. In the books he never does that, although he would have loved to, but he restrained himself out of respect for Frodo. That is, up to that point when he felt it was a good time for his Gollum side to show his colours, in Cirith Ungol. Also, this way of putting a wedge between Frodo and Sam is a bit too much intrigue and scheming from Gollum. He is sneaky, yes, but he is not cunning when it comes to human interaction. Last, but not least, this justifies Sam's accusation (sneak). In the books, we feel that Sam is doing wrong, and is unwittingly ruining everything, but we cannot blame him really. And we feel sorry for Gollum and for that missed chance. In the movies, we feel angry at Gollum and doubly sorry for Sam - both because of Gollum and Frodo's reaction.
That's interesting, because I believe instead of Sam misunderstanding Gollum's "pawing" which I believe Tolkien called the crucial point when Gollum's redemption was gone...Jackson makes the crucial point when Frodo leads Gollum into being caught by Faramir.

I don't mind this being the crucial point in the question of can Gollum be redeemed, because I think the build up in the movies is nice and it makes sense. We see Gollum gradually, slowly getting better beginning with Frodo calling him "Smeagol" but once he perceived Frodo betrayed him, that's the crucial point. I don't mind that bit, because you can actually see and follow the story being told in the movie. But all the lembas, and scheming to pit Frodo and Sam against eachother...yeah I can't get over that either.