View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 02:51 PM   #20
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Well to finish what I intended...

I thought about Pippin, but seeing as he was a Hobbit, I don't see him as being the next one to fall to the Ring. I think his curiosity is what would get him eventually.

Saucepan brings up good points about Aragorn, and these are similar reasons to why I considered him to falling after Boromir. Yes, Aragorn did have chances to take it already, alone with the four hobbits, but Aragorn at the end of FOTR (well beginning of TTT) is in total shambles. He questions his own leadership, he wishes Gandalf didn't die, he wishes he wasn't the leader because anything he's decided has gone wrong. Right now at the beginning of TTT he begins questioning himself, and goes through a hard time...perhaps some fuel for the Ring to work with?

Anyway, onto who I voted for and why. Aye, it was Legolas. Simply for the reasons that he could be in the same boat with Boromir. Mirkwood is a piece of junk at this time, it's dark, crappy, and infested with spiders, could the Ring use this to work on Legolas? Maybe, maybe not. But it seems like Legolas and Boromir are sort of on the same road here. Boromir wants to save Gondor, though he wants to do it himself. Legolas perhaps wants to make Mirkwood beautiful again, and clear of spiders, but Boromir was just an easier target.

Now, we don't get too many characters thoughts on the Ring. We get some on Aragorn, a bit on Gandalf, Sam much later on, and Frodo. Other than that how the others are effected by it isn't said.

We must remember, that just because some people don't show an effect of the Ring, doesn't mean they COULDN'T become corrupted. Through the journey of the Fellowship, the Ring had no need to work on anyone else besides Boromir. Boromir was easy prey for the Ring, and the Ring had no need to try to go after anyone else at this time. Once Boromir is out of the picture, Gollum comes in, more easy prey for the Ring. So, the Ring I don't think is something all powerful that effects anyone that comes near it. It tends to focus on one person, and when that person is alone.

Examples:

Smeagol killing Deagol for the Ring.
Frodo offering it to Gandalf in Bag End.
Frodo offering it to Galadriel.
Boromir and Frodo alone at Amon Hen.
Sam's temptation in Cirith Ungol, alone with Frodo.