View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #2867
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
lmp - and others - I found this from the actual thread. It's from an interlude kind of post where things are readied for Eodwine to be written out (so the "he" in the story is Eodwine).

I think that gives the general background to the three lords.

Quote:
On September the 27th he wrote a letter to be sent to the three most remarkable landlords around.

He knew Tancred son of Ewald well. He had been a captain in the same force lord Eodwine had served himself in the Pelennor Fields and even before it. He was a great soldier, a shrewd tactician and a trustee of the late king Theoden. But that trust was earned during the days of Theoden’s misery. Lord Eodwine didn’t like him. He actually feared him but stood calm. He would have to meet that man and wrestle the king’s authority over him however he would react to this kind of approach. And he was about ten years older than lord Eodwine. Forcing Tancred to subdue to him would be a challenge.

He knew Alboin son of Oswine as well. He was not of a stature Tancred was, but he was an intelligent and a stern lord. Lord Eodwine didn’t actually love Alboin either as he thought he was a coward but he knew some praised his courage. Maybe it was more a matter of personal relations?

He didn’t know Faramund son of Friduhelm that well but he had known his father well enough. They had fought side by side in the Pelennor fields and he both admired and loved the old man. And he still lived. But he had given the rule over his estates to his son Faramund Eodwine knew almost nothing about; but that he was very young, twenty something… If Friduhelm would come he would have an ally in the meeting, Eodwine thought writing the letters. And if not, he could always appeal to Faramund to prove worth of his father…
Now you hit a good question as to how the old Friduhelm would let his son do what he does. A serious illness (or serious old age problems) might be a good solution. That would explain both why he gave his steership over and why he is not able to exert any authority to his son.

I'm okay with both ways to approach the dialogue. I understand completely how things just happen only when you start writing and that is fun - but it is also possible you come up with an idea you feel insecure as to whether the other one would like the idea pushed on his character. So let's see how it goes when one of us gets down into writing. I might have time tomorrow but if you have time earlier, please go on.

Nice post Legate. Anyone else wiling to share the situation there?