View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #17
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, sounds clear here. We have sorcery's black touch in Numenor, and in Khamul of the Easterlings. There's reference to it, even in The Blue Wizards, who went into the East and, in some text references, succumbed to evil in Sorcery.

I haven't read any references to sorcery in the peoples of Harad.

We also know that Umbar was founded in 2280, and I seem to recall that Elros's bloodline made a showing there, at least as a cousin or relative, at some point (my memory is fuzzy about Umbar. It has been over 20 years since I reviewed this stuff).

From 1695 SA (Sauron's attack on the Mirdain) to 1700 SA (Tar Minastir's 'humiliating' defeat of Sauron), we're at 1800. 700 years until Nazgul appear, places us 2500, SA. I don't know how long a Ring took to exert its influence, but 2280 and 2500 is 220 years. I would say, then that this may suggest the 'guy with the grudge against Elros from Numenor'--Witchking--probably came from Numenorean stock before Umbar. There were plenty of Numenorean settlements and Lords of Andunie flexing their muscles in Middle Earth extracting bounty, all along the coast of ME, from South of Lindon, all the way to south of Harad......

Do you think the Ring bearer ever made a presence in Numenor?
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote