View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 01:50 AM   #40
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanorsdoom
Davem, I understand your belief in the importance of keeping Tolkien's work distinct from that which might be done in his name; no one here wants to see Disney's The Hobbit II. But Tolkien's world is very much like the historical Egypt before modern archaeology. There are minds every bit as creative and subtle as the Master's, however you may idolize him, and some of those minds will not be content to let the beauty of Middle-earth languish in dusty volumes. Arda began as a thought in one man's head and that man is gone, but Arda is not. The Silmarils are still waiting to be found, and some day, they will be.
Well those minds must be content to let their own visions of Middle-earth either exist in their own heads, find another art form (like painting, music, crafts etc) or face the fact that their writing will remain a fan pursuit. The Estate keeps a tight ship on written work and rightly so - I've said it many times before and I will continue to say it, that Tolkien's work will not and must not end up cheapened and diluted like the Universe of Star Wars and many others.

Sorry to say but if someone really does have the same genius as that possessed by Tolkien then they will also have the genius to create their own visions of other worlds. There are geniuses out there today and that's what they are doing right now. Gaiman for one. Pullman for another. That's part of the inherent quality of genius - you do not ape others, you go and create something of your own which astounds and confounds.