View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline1241 View Post
I also think so.
I am deeply amused that a SPAM-bot decided to bring this thread up, because I actually read this essay for the first time today, during an off-hour this morning when I was attempting to escape from homework (a ploy that worked, incidentally). However, much like the immediately preceding article (by our very own Esty), I really hadn't planned on adding anything to this thread, because... well... I don't really have much to say about the subject other than "a good article: it was interesting topically, and I enjoyed reading it," and I've always held to the maxim that if one doesn't have anything to add to a topic on the forum, one should hold his peace.

However, the fates seem to be prompting me otherwise, and as it would be most discourteous of me to subject the Downs to further SPAM-attacks on this thread, I should probably take their hint. So:

Norbert Maier's article was well put together, and I found it an engaging read and an interesting topic.

To expand on that a little, I found it intriguing to note how widespread the harp is in Middle-earth. My default thought would have been to consider that it was mainly an Elvish instrument, with some Mannish (aka Westernessian) borrowings, and I would have been lucky to have named a mention of it apart from the rude one belonging to Bëor's people, and maybe the House of the Harp in BoLT II. In this respect, I appreciated the extent to which Maier had found traces of the harp throughout Middle-earth, and it's importance in the cultures therein.

I would agree with Bęthberry, however, in thinking it would have been nice to have an explanation on the distinction between the harp and lyre, since I too belong to the vast lay majority that does not appreciate the distinction--and I feel like going into this might have furthered an understanding of what a harp in Middle-earth would be likely to be, by eliminating another thing it is not.

Also, I found that this essay really complemented Esty's survey piece on musical instruments generally, by focusing on the preeminent member of that genus in finer detail.