View Single Post
Old 07-31-2004, 09:10 PM   #22
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Elanor and Elian

Elanor climbed to the top of the old wooden fence and sat down on the upper railing, curling her fingers around the nearby fencepost for added support as she stared at the surrounding plain. For the past hour she had been searching all over the farm, investigating every cranny where she knew her brother sometimes hid. Despite her efforts, she'd found nothing. Even the neighbors claimed not to have seen Eric, but most of them had been so involved in rounding up family members that Elanor wondered if they would even remember a small boy slipping though the fields. At least, she had not had any trouble with the dragon. He seemed to be lying low for the moment.

The sun had sunk below the horizon; only a tiny wisp of light remained in the skies. With a rueful shake of her head, Elanor climbed down again and then trotted back in the direction of her home. She had not gone more than a dozen paces when she heard a sound over her shoulder. Halting for a moment to glimpse back, Elanor noticed a familiar figure sprinting towards the south, trying to catch up with her.

"Elian!" she cried out in greeting.

"Yes, it's me. And I have news. I went further north of here, about a half a mile, and came across Farmer Brand. This, afternoon, he saw Eric. Brand was rounding up his herds right after the wyrm was sighted. Eric was racing southeast through the fields, all by himself, heading towards the river; he was apparently doubling back chasing after the dragon, who was going in broad circles."

Elanor's face blanched white at the idea that her brother could be so far away from the house and that he'd been running after the dragon instead of away from him. She only hoped that the dragon hadn't noticed him. Fighting back tears, she responded grimly, "And your father, Elian? Have you seen him?"

"No. But I think dad will be alright. I am more worried about your brother."

"Let's go back then," urged Elanor, "and tell the others. Maybe your father is there by now. Anways, it's getting dark and we can't go running off on our own. My dad and mom will know what to do."

With that, they turned around and continued together.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 08-03-2004 at 11:05 PM.