View Single Post
Old 11-28-2003, 08:38 PM   #51
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've heard the song one time, and I have to admit, I didn't like it as well as I liked the other two. But then, I also have to admit that I'm biased for a couple of other reasons.<P><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>1) I was hoping to hear more from Enya, as she is one of my favourites. This was probably an unrealistic hope, but this is something I did after TTT, too; I hated 'Gollum's Song' at first for not being by Enya. But it grew on me (as I'm expecting 'Into The West' to do) and now it's - dare I say it - my favourite LotR song (sorry, Enya!)<BR><LI>2) I love Loreena McKennitt, she's my number one favourite of all time (sorry again, Enya!) and I was thinking of how she would have done the song differently from how Annie Lennox did it. Which is not exactly fair to Annie Lennox. <BR><LI>3) I seem never to like these songs all that well the first time around. Come to think of it, I wasn't all that crazy about 'May It Be' upon first hearing it - I remember thinking it was a pretty song, but I'd heard Enya do better before. Same goes for 'Gollum's Song', I had to wait for it to grow on me, and presumably same for 'Into The West'.<BR></UL><P>So I guess the moral of the story, or at least what I'm trying to get at, is I'm waiting for the song to grow on me, as all the other ones have, and trying not to make a quick judgment based on a comparison to other singers or songs. Ask me again in about a month, and I'll probably say it's the greatest song ever, or at least have some sort of balanced perspective.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote