View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 08:14 PM   #204
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Duel: The dress rehearsal, or something. The (hopefully) second to last progress report.

I am not finished fleshing out the last part, but I made sure to put at least a sketch of the melody until the finish so that you have something to work with for timing and such while I finish up the details. A few things I wanted to ask about:

1. What do you think of Emo vs Rock God styles? I tried to preserve Emo's whispering on "that's fear that fills your heart" and "your words are dangerous", which I think sounds more threatening - but I'm not sure if it's doable. However, I like Rock God's shameless glee on "take warning and beware", so I stuffed him in right next to the whisper. But all of this is subject to change. Do you have any preference on Sauron?

2. I had Finrod bust a string or drop his harp or something after "your ending in its coldness" where his melody is abruptly cut off. Is it better with the blip, or with his part just ending in silence? Also, the blip is now in tune, but I can make it purposefully off tune, like if he headdesked the keyboard.

3. And right after the blip - "guilty is your soul etc" - to slow down or not to slow down? I cannot control the extent of the slowing, only the start and stop. I can't tell it to slow down gradually over the course of the stanza, unfortunately.

4. Still working on Sauron's final lines - I know they don't sound quite right, but not sure how so. I will listen to Rock God tomorrow to try and fix this, cause his melody is cleaner than Emo's.

5. Any points on rhythm? How do you sing things? Anything that needs shifting to make it more comfortable? Sauron's sections have become especially rhythmic, but easy to change if they feel uncomfortable.

6. As per usual - anything else?

I feel like recording these progresses has become less fun as the Duel got longer. Now it's more and more listening through old material for every precious second of new stuff. :/ I will be very happy when I am finally done this piece. It's a flippin SIX AND A HALF MINUTES!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 08-05-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote