View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 11:46 PM   #10
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
White Tree

There are several instances in which you used Duin Dear instead of Duin Daer.

Quote:
§46f (§35) <TN Suddenly {is}was all that place filled with the sound of {elfin}[elvish] horns, and one
As noted before.

Quote:
§50 (§39) <TN Now little doth the tale tell of wounds and blows of that affray, save that Beren got many hurts therein, and many of his shrewdest blows did little harm to Naugladur by reason of the {[?}skill{]} and magic of his {dwarfen}[dwarven] mail; and it is said that three hours they fought and Beren's arms grew weary, but not those of Naugladur accustomed to wield his mighty hammer at the forge, and it is more than like that otherwise would the issue have been but for the curse of Mîm; for marking how Beren grew faint Naugladur pressed him ever more nearly, and the arrogance that was of that grievous spell came into his heart, and he thought: ‘I will slay this {Elf}[Men],
It should be Man and not men me thinks.

Quote:
§ 51d (§43) RD-EX-81 <TN Now hearing {the cries of Ufedhin Gwendelin}[of Beren’s return Melain]
You missed the apostrophe.

Quote:
But Beren {laughed}[answered], saying that the glory of the Silmaril and its holiness might overcome all such evils,
To me, it would seem disrespectful if Beren laughed at Melian. I would rather say answered.

Quote:
§ 51e (§44) <TN Then said Tinúviel that she desired not things of worth or precious stones but the {elfin}[elvish]
ibid.

Quote:
§56b (§50) RD-SL-32 But <TY Maedhros restrain{s}[ed] his brethren.> RD-EX-85 <TN Thus was it that they sent Curufin the Crafty to Dior, and told him of their oath, and bid him give that fair jewel back unto those whose right it was; but Dior gazing on the loveliness of Elwing would not do so, and he said that he could not endure that the Nauglamír, fairest of earthly craft, be so despoiled. ‘Then,’ said Curufin, ‘must the Nauglamír unbroken be given to the sons of Fëanor,’ and Dior waxed wroth, bidding him be gone, {nor dare to claim what his sire Beren the Onehanded won with his hand from the [?jaws] of Melko} – ‘other twain are there in the selfsame place,<editorial addition[/u] where this had come from,>’ said he, ‘an your hearts be bold enow.’>[b]RD-EX-86 <TY {[Thus he returned] {Dior returns} no /clear/ answer /to their claim./}>
I would change the tense of the verb to restrain to the past tense. I would deleted the bold part because if Dior waxed wroth, bidding him be gone, I would assume that there is no way that Dior would give the sons of Fëanor the silmaril.

Quote:
§57 & §58a (§51) RD-EX-87 <TN Then went Curufin unto his brethren, RD-SL-32.5 <TY and Celegorm {inflames}inflamed the brethren,> and because of their unbreakable oath and of their [{?} thirst] for that Silmaril (nor indeed was the spell of Mîm and of the dragon wanting) they planned war upon Dior - and the Eldar cry shame upon them for that deed, the first premeditated war of {elfin}[elven] folk upon {elfin}[elven] folk RD-EX-88{, whose name otherwise were glorious among the Eldalie for their sufferings}. Little good came thereby to them; for they fell unawares upon RD-SL-33{Dior}><TY the east marches of Doriath>, and Dior{ and Auredhir were}was slain, RD-EX-89 <TY {There}there fell also Celegorm (by Dior's hand) {and Curufin and Cranthir.}>,RD-SL-34 Q30 and Doriath was destroyed and never rose again. RD-EX-90 <TN {yet}Yet behold {, Evranin the nurse of Elwing, and Gereth{ a Gnome}<Sil77 faithful servant>, took {her }<TY {The}}the Lady Nimloth escaped with Elwing> {unwilling} in a flight swift and sudden from those lands, <TY and they came hardly to Ossir[iand]> and {they} bore with them the Nauglamír, so that the sons of Fëanor saw it not;
I would remove the bold parts because are the names Evranin and Gereth valid in actual Sindarin? Also if the mother of Elwing took her and they were under attack, one would assume that she would go willingly with her mother.

Quote:
§58c (§53) RD-EX-94 <TN Now was naught left of the seed of Beren {Ermabwed}[Erchamion] son of {Egnor}[Barahir] save Elwing the Lovely, and she [along with Nimloth] wandered in the woods, and of the {brown}[grey] Elves and the green a few gathered to her>.
I added the part in bold because of the previous change that Elwing fled with her mother.

Quote:
And thus did all the fates of the {fairies}[elves] weave then to one strand, and that strand is the great tale of Eärendil.
fairies should be elves me thinks.