View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 06:19 AM   #24
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
And even so I know well that the combination of source so fare separated in the time of composition is critical, none the less we hear about that selfsame character in a late source. HoME; volume 11: The War of the Jewels; Part Two: The Later Quenta Silmarillion; The Last Chapters:

Quote:
Then the host of the Valar prepared for battle, and the captain of their host was Fionwë son of Manwë.
which was later changed to:

Quote:
... Eönwë to whom Manwë gave his sword.
So Eönwë had already once wielded the sword of Manwë in a fight against the forces of Melkor, why shouldn’t he do that again in the last Battle? And as said above, if Melkor is to be beaten entirely that means ‘cleaving the world’.
WHOA WHOA WAIT WHAT?! Manwe having a sword is actually confirmed?!

I take all my doubts back. Celeg Aithorn is the Sword of Manwe, and with it the Elder King will at the last bring Arda to its doom.

If we translate the name into late Sindarin, we get something close to 'Heledh Aethorn'; there's no direct cognate to 'aith', but it's related to the various words for sharpness that end up as 'aeg'. The example of Heledh+morn -> Helevorn tells us that consonants can drop out when compounds are formed, and 'Aegthorn' would definitely offend the elven lámatyávë sensibilities.

The Quenya form of the name, which does have a direct descendent of 'aith', would be 'Calca Ectesorno'. It's worth noting that aith/eket are etymologically related to thorns and other sharp points; the most poetic English name for this blade would be the Crystal Talon.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote