View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #84
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
The title of the first chapter in The Lord of the Rings obviously links the book to The Hobbit, in which the first chapter is titled ‘An Unexpected Party’. It certainly feels like the sequel Tolkien’s readers and publisher expected of him. Let’s discuss what happens in this chapter and how it affects you. What do you especially like about it – or dislike? Do you remember reading it the first time?

Let’s keep the discussion primarily on the events of this chapter, without touching on things to come more than absolutely necessary. Everyone is welcome to join in!
I only saw the connection after I read The Hobbit. However, while the opening chapter of The Hobbit is like to the light-heartedness of the first chapter of LotR, the latter seemed to have a more profound effect on me.

I'll be honest - the first time, I actually disliked it. In fact, I shoved it in my cupboard and didn't look at it again for another month. But after I picked it up a second time, well, it had me hooked. The chapter had a very 'magical' and 'fairy-like' feel, which continued till the end of Lothlórien.

'A Long-Expected Party' was one chapter which was, to me, more striking in imagery than most. Why, I still can't fathom.