View Single Post
Old 10-08-2002, 03:58 PM   #162
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan and Ancalimon oversaw the loading of the skiff and the second boat which they had purchased. After confirming that all was secure, they paid the porters and set sail towards the Southwest. Again, the wind was with them and they made good time.

Ancalimon sighed. "So a reward is being offered for news of Angara," he said. 'From the sound of things, Gorthaur is expanding his search. We must remain wary. While the searchers seek a dragon, not a ship, he can expect vessels to come near seeking news of the wyrm."

Mithadan nodded in agreement, but sat looking back at the island receding into the North. "Mithadan?" prodded Ancalimon. The Man shook himself from his reverie and turned. His eyes were haunted with the foreknowledge of Numenor's fate.

"I'm sorry," he responded. "Elenna was the home of my people; the heart and soul of my race. Many would have given fortunes for the opportunity to set foot on its shores and I have done so, but it brings me only sadness. 'Akallabeth' indeed! The words of those in the common room last night show just how far we fell."

"Yet you have risen up again," came the response. "From what I understand, your country of Gondor has revived the honour and hope of the Numenorean race."

"And yet we are a mere shadow of its greatness," mused Mithadan.

"Perhaps," answered Ancalimon. "But things built by hand alone are not the sole measure of greatness. There is also courage, wisdom and loyalty. You have, yourself, evidenced the revival of the Edain and, in doing so, you make amends for the evils of Numenor."

"Maybe in part," said Mithadan. "But not without cost. With wisdom comes also pain and the price of redemption is high."

They sailed on in silence. Soon the sails of the Lonely Star became visible. Ancalimon dug into his pouch and pulled forth a handful of coins, which he returned to Mithadan. The Man placed them in his pouch, but first picked something from the glitter and tossed it back to Ancalimon. "Hold that for me," he requested.

Ancalimon trailed his hand in the water and listened to the sounds of the seas. After a moment, he nodded. Moments later, they were greeted by the crew of the Star.