View Single Post
Old 02-10-2024, 10:42 AM   #13
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
So, I've recently found a passage from The Children of Hurin which somehow went under my radar all this time.

It isn't really pertinent to the main topic of this thread per se, but I think it's fascinating nonetheless, and I don't really know where else to post it.

This passage (possibly) pertains to the idea of Turin coming back from...somewhere...and (maybe) inflicting the killing blow to Morgoth:

Quote:
‘If any of us three be faithless, it is I: but not in will. But what of your doom and rumours of Angband? What of death and destruction? The Adanedhel is mighty in the tale of the World, and his stature shall reach yet to Morgoth in some far day to come.’
- The Children of Hurin, 'Turin in Nargothrond', p. 169; part of a conversation between Finduilas and Gwindor

This passage was brought to light to me by the user 'Mitchboy1995' on the r/TolkienFans (https://old.reddit.com/r/tolkienfans..._the_children/ ).

When do you think this passage was written? If I had to guess, sometime in the mid-to-late 1950's, alongside the majority of the CoH.

Regardless, what is everyone's impression of this passage?

Last edited by Arvegil145; 02-10-2024 at 10:45 AM.
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote