View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #1101
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Writing a paper (taking a mini break), so I can't really post for real at the moment, but here's what I'm thinking:

""You have blessed me with knowing your desire that Saeryn become my wife, for which I thank you. But we have not spoken, you and I, of bride price and dowery. Now that you are head of your house, and Saeryn is your sister, what would you have from me in plight for the good of your sister, both while we live, but more to the point, for her security in widowhoood?"" (Eodwine to Degas)

Saeryn would have had a dowery in place already, yes? Presumably? But would Crazy-Fenrir have left it alone, particularly once she fell from favor? To the point: can I assume that Saer already has a dowery containing dowery-stuff, or does the rather prodigal Degas need to come up with a new one from the wreckage of his long-avoided home?

And I'm now definitely thinking of bride-price as 'retirement fund.'

Also, I'm thinking, Saeryn hasn't really been a part of the Folde for quite some time now, so handing over stuff to make up for what the Folde will be losing isn't quite like if she'd been living at home being the sole weaver or something.

Also, though- would it be appropriate for Degas to go home and see what his lands need before naming a bride price? Or is this a conversation that must be settled 'now' regardless of the current state of the Folde?