View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Lets have a heated debate!

Hi all,

I find myself in good agreement with Bethberry's points (especially the first ). Where is the renowned Burra these days anyway?

Who indeed gets to be Stalin? These sort of major details do not match up well between LoTR and WWII. The overall sort of thing - defeat of an aggressive 'evil empire' does, but not if you dig much deeper.

I think that there must be an argument, however, for Tolkien's writing process being affected by current affairs. The jouney started in 1936, and many have commented oh the lighter, 'fairie' feel of the first chapters, if I remember 'It feels diferent near the Shire' was one such thread. By 1940, however, the story is getting darker, and 'greater' if you know what I mean. Certainly I think that living through the most terrible and dramatic events of the 20th century, both WWI and WWII, must have affected the tone and broad themes of the book. I am willing to be proved wrong!

Rather OT, but Juno should never be forgotten, my Dad was there with the Canadians that day.