View Single Post
Old 04-01-2004, 06:36 AM   #32
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Let me apologise, as after reading my preview I ramble about a bit here, so bear with me.........

I do not believe Tolkien is saying that for suffering to count you must believe in a God and be rewarded this way. Frodo was already rewarded by saving the Shire.
But exactly WHAT TYPE of suffering are we talking about here?

For example, in my opinion, Frodo's place on the boat was because of 2 things:

1/ Reward for defeating Sauron
2/ Healing for his WOUNDS.

I emphasise wounds, as one can read into what Tolkien says as the trip West would heal him of his PHYSICAL pains. IE Stab, Sting and Bite.

But mental pain is another thing. I think Frodo’s mental pain and suffering boils down to one point. He did not throw the Ring in the cracks of doom. It was ripped off of him and then lost in the fires of mount doom. In the end Frodo did not want to get rid of the ring. THIS is the problem Frodo has. Gollum was tormented for 60 years by losing the Ring, and Frodo had to put up with the loss for a few years as well. Bilbo seemed to handle the Ring being destroyed as he, somewhat, gave up the ring voluntarily. Would going West help him get rid of his mental aguish? I think not, unfortunately.

Also, I believe, to some extent Frodo knew what he was letting himself into. He obviously would not know the details of the pain and suffering he would go through during and after the Quest. But what we DO know is that the Quest was undertaken because of his love for the Shire and the people in it. (and maybe some forbearance on his part? See the bold text in the quote)

Quote:
I should like to save the Shire, if I could – though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them. But I don't feel like that now. I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again.
Davem,
Quote:
Frodo is asked to do too much, & he isn't told what he is being required to sacrifice.
I’m not too sure. I think he has an inkling of what he is letting himself into, and especially what WOULD happen if the Quest was not completed. What’s the saying “Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country”. If you had the chance to save your country, and the world as a whole, but not be able to enjoy the fruits of your labours, wouldn’t you still go ahead and do it? I hope I would.

Do not feel too sorry for Frodo, someone had to save Middle-earth, and he became Great in doing so……..
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote