View Single Post
Old 05-15-2003, 05:27 AM   #37
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I think we forget that we know more about the ongoing tale than the characters can have know in their time.
When Húrin has his words with Morgoth he believes that his wife and children had long since gone to Doriath as they both had spoken at the eve of the Nirneath. So he thinks they are safe. And what ever he says it is only his one risk in the first place.
When Niniel jumped into the Teglin she believes Túrin is lying dead, killed by the dragon. Nonetheless your point is worth considering. If she had stand that horror things would have gone otherwise, especially for Brandir whom she knew to love her, whatsoever.

Posted by Lalaith
Quote:
Btw, slightly off topic but what about Turin's feelings towards Finduilas? I always interpreted them as friendship rather than love. She loved him, but I don't think he loved any woman until Nienor.
I don't think it was only friendship. He loved Finduilas but denied the feeling out of allegiance to Gwindor. The motivation was just but the result was bad for all three. But that was not his fault - or not alone his fault. He should not only have dismiss his feelings he should have dismiss her companionship. And in doing so he deepened her love for him and enraged Gwindor. In Finduilas we can see a failure in real love for Gwindor and her fault it was also to search further the companionship of Túrin after she perceived that Túrin didn't return her love. And Gwindor? He did do to less. We don't see him working for a reestablishment of Finduilas love to him. And when it was to late he spoke only to Finduilas and left Túrin in doubt. He did know more about Túrins motives than Finduials. Had he spoken to Túrin in the same way he spoke to her, Túrin might have changed his mind about the relation to Finduials. But he spoke only overlate at the battlefield and than mixed with bitter words.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote