View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 05:59 PM   #2283
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin
You have a good head on your shoulders. Thanks for sharing your thoughts as well.
Why, thank you, sir! I'm glad I did not offend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
So it was not a question of a trial in a democratic society where impartial judges weigh all the parties to the row and then try to find a just verdict but - as Groin said - a show. But a show put up for a reason. If the bodily integrity of someone belonging to the lord's family is violated, there is no lord who could just leave the matter be. Such offences must be somehow dealt with in public.
Yeah, that's how I see it. I figure that if someone hit the president's daughter in a schoolyard fight there would be more to-do than if the same bully had hit someone else's daughter. Of course, vastly different situation and rulers and courts and stuff, but still...that's where I'm coming from.

Quote:
And as we're on our way to Lithor's hearing I'd like to point to the same issue. I don't think a medieval / Middle-Earthish / feudal eorl would have to consult anyone - or even hear anyone - when he makes decisions on disciplinary issues concerning his subordinates. So I think lord Athanar is showing some real consideration and goodwill letting Lithor speak publicly in the first place - and letting what he (and especially Thornden) says affect his judgement. That's why I have tried to use the word "hearing" all the time.
Right. I think that if I were writing an eorl it would be much different. I'm glad Nogrod is writing Athanar. He's turning out fairly nice-ish.

-- Foley