View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #3417
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Neither was I until Bęthberry enlighted me (thanks! ). I only knew the lines from the song Schlaf im Mohn by a German band called Orplid that I'm quite in love with.
Gah, maybe I'm wrong. I thought those lines were a quotation in Orplid's song--Dichtung--but now I can't find the attribution back to Grillparzer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune son of Bjarne
I know this is a view that is out of fashion, but historically Austrians are considered German, just like Saxons or Prussians. It is only after 1871 that some people start to differentiate between Austrians and Germans, now mr. Franz died 1872. . . I would say his writtings technically are German literature.
Well, I'm schooled in the tradition which differentiates them (and calls Grillparzer Austrian), but your point is an interesting one. (I'm also familiar with people pointing out that Adolf Hitler was in fact not German, but Austrian.) I suppose it depends on whether one takes as the defining quality nationality or language. And I was trying to be generous to Esty by pointing out that his works aren't in the corpus of what she would normally consider, so it wouldn't be surprising she didn't recognise them.