View Single Post
Old 09-23-2003, 04:02 PM   #30
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

When an actor makes his first appearance in every film, it's natural to immediately think "Who is this actor and what has he been in before?". For example, when I saw Patrick Stewart in XMen I immediately thought "Oh, there's Patrick" and I thought of him as Captain Picard from Star Trek. That lasted until he became Professor Xavier in my mind and basically erased Captain Picard (which didn't take him long, he's a great actor).<P>You see, an actor (or actress) needs to be able to become different people. If he does not do a good job, then it really screws things up. I remember watching a bad Sylvester Stallone movie one time and just thinking of him as Rocky trying to pass himself off as a cop. Do you get what I'm saying?<P>Well, I think that might be what's happening with Liv Tyler. Sean Astin, Sir Ian, and Sean Bean are actors that I've seen in other roles, but their masterful portrayal of their characters made me forget about who they were before the movie. While LOTR is playing, Sean Bean is Boromir, not a real life actor.<P>Liv doesn't become Arwen though. Her role is thoroughly unimpressive, possibly because 99% of her role is completely made up. Maybe my view is slanted because I read the books first, in other words for Liv to become Arwen she would have to play the part the way it is in the book. Just like I don't think the actor that played Faramir was Faramir in TTT, because it's not the Faramir I know.<P>As far as Liv's previous roles, I haven't seen a single one of them (not even the music video), but I can imagine that I'd probably have trouble with her playing Arwen if I had seen her in raunchy roles, mainly because her role in LOTR is so blah that it wouldn't erase my memory of her in the other role. She wouldn't be Arwen, she'd be some girl from a raunchy movie trying to play Arwen.<P>You guys get what I mean?