Thread: Boromir's Death
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Boromir has been raised to be proud, he is descended from Numenoreans, and he was effectively going to be the ruler of Minas Tirith - until he saw that Aragorn was back. He probably genuinely thinks he has the strength and right to decide on what happens to the Ring, and furthermore is driven by either jealousy or a need to 'prove' himself against Aragorn (who might seem quite smugly 'perfect' to him, let's admit ). Eomer on the other hand is from a different background, raised to be a captain, a soldier. Rohan does not have the same 'high' history, and the people are less likely to be impressed by or interested in things such as 'magic Rings'. They are interested in their horses and their land.
I was deeply disturbed with Boromir's betrayal of Frodo when I first read the book, but then just as quickly, I gained a great respect for Boromir when he got control of himself and protected Merry and Pippin at the cost of his own life. It was this sacrifice that gained him redemption, and made him a conflicted hero in my book, far more interesting than the impossibly noble Aragorn.

From my perspective, it seemed that, in addition to your comments, Lal, Boromir was also deeply affected - unmanned perhaps - while in Lothlorien. He was forced to look at his own conflicted self and it unnerved him, and then he saw how Aragorn was unaffected and treated with high regard by Galadriel. This, in addition to his love of country (some would say overblown patriotism) and respect for his father - with both Denethor and Gondor heading for crushing defeat - that caused Boromir to become unhinged. But the qualities everyone admired in Faramir returned for Boromir when he willingly gave up his life.