View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
rlbuff

Quotes/References in the Children of Hurin

As I've read through the Introduction and and Appendices of the Children of Hurin, I've been trying to find the sources of all of Christopher's quotes. I've gotten most of them, but there are a few that seem to escape me. I'm sure there are some people here who will know where they come from almost off the top of their head. So if you could direct me to the right place for these five quotes, I'd sure appreciate it.

1) The first one I can't find is on p. 15 in the last paragraph. (Talking about Morgoth) it says, "As he grew in Malice, and sent forth from himself an evil that he conceived in lies and creatures of wickedness, his power passed into them and was dispersed, and he himself became ever more earth-bound, unwilling to issue from his dark strongholds."

2) The next one is right after that on p.15, where Fingolfin says to Morgoth, "Come forth, thou coward king, to fight with thine own hand! Den dweller, wielder of thralls, liar and lurker, foe of Gods and Elves, come! For I would see thy craven face." [Since he uses the word "Gods" I assume it is one of the earlier versions of the story].

3) This one I know I have read somewhere, but can't seem to find it again. It is on p.18 in the first full paragraph. "So ended the tale of Turin the hapless; the worst of the works of Morgoth among Men in the ancient world."

4) On p.25, in the second full paragraph, Beor speaks saying, "A darkness lies behind us; and we have turned our backs on it, and we do not desire to return thither even in thought. Westwards our hearts have been turned, and we believe that there we shall find Light." [A very similar passage, yet not an exact one, is in the published Silmarillion on p.141 (Hardback).]

5) On p.280, third full paragraph, CT says that he has "said elsewhere" of his father that, "with the completion of the the great 'intrusion' and departure of The Lord of the Rings, it seems that he returned to the Elder Days with a desire to take up again the far more ample scale with which he had begun long before, in The Book of Lost Tales..." [The quote goes further on p.280].

If anyone knows where all of these come from, or knows where any one of them comes from, I'd appreciate hearing a response. [I'll be happy to return the favor by sharing any of the other references that you might want that I have already found.]

Thanks!