View Single Post
Old 02-20-2022, 08:02 PM   #67
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagain View Post
The single strongest argument against a wise 2nd Age Galadriel is how she's handled at the end of the 1st Age. That's a story that was developed in multiple variants, but whether she rejects the pardon of the Valar, whether the Valar keep her under the Ban (and IIRC one version where she would have stayed anyway), whichever way you slice it this is still a character who has a long way to go, and would have continued to be a disruptive presence in the Blessed Realm.
Aye. The Second Age Galadriel is not yet wise, or as wise as can be. She is still ambitious, and proud, and headstrong. But she is not brash. I hate that word so much. It might just barely apply to her in the beginning of the First Age, but it's a stretch to say that she was that even with her end of the First Age decisions. She might not have reached her full wisdom, but she is not some impertinent tomboy; at the very least her temper is a little softened with patience and the knowledge of loss. Her descriptions in the show keep putting me in mind of Obara Sand from GOT and various action-movie heroines and that is just not who she is. Pre-Helcaraxe Galadriel might have ridden off on a horse after an argument to chase some bad guys around and pout. End of First Age Galadriel acts on a bigger scale. This is a woman who has kingdoms on her mind. She thinks in bigger goals. Chasing some scattered enemies in a one-[obsessed]-man-mission because she has no bigger ambition (?) or nothing better to do (?) is petty and small and just not the scale to which the end-of-FA Galadriel would apply herself with such zeal. So do I conclude that the show Galadriel really has nothing more to her than action figure sword waving? I am trying very hard to give it the benefit of the doubt, but purely based on the info they have released to date, I am very not happy.

I am not sure why Galadriel irks me more than the other irksome things in the promo material. It might be that I've grown more attached to her after becoming her namesake. I suspect it is a case of the show just disregarding the essence of the world they are portraying, as William has been saying, and all the specific examples of misinterpretation are just the manifestations of the underlying problem. But some things you are more willing to forgive, whereas others just hit a little too close to what is dear and should not be touched. Maybe this is one of mine.