View Single Post
Old 12-21-2003, 05:01 PM   #32
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Boromir was not an obsticle to Aragorn's ascendance to the throne. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>They had not reached Minas Tirith yet, nor become rivals in her wars. Touché! sayeth the platypus. I love the word obsticle too, I'm going to say that whenever a popsicle is somehow in my way... damn that lemonade obsticle! I can't get past!<P>In defence of Finwe, I do have a feeling that Peter Jackson was trying to impress on us the need for the removal of Denethor to pave the way for the king. I question his use of Shadowfax and Gandalf to commit the murder directly, especially as everyone has quite rightly pointed out this is not in character either for bookGandalf or movieGandalf (who up until this movie were one and the same).<P>Maybe we will have to wait until the real version (not the short version) of the movie comes out. And I thought the wait was already over! Alas, another 10 months!! One thing that is certain, though, is that the purpose of that scene was <B>not</B> explained clearly enough. Although it's someting I'm sure we all enjoy, that kind of scene should not require endless debate to understand what the director was trying to achieve. Murky filmmaking.