Thread: Name Changes?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #35
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'll try a short version, based on Findegil's post, and perhaps it will help with clarity regarding my long-winded response above!

1. ð vs. dh:

This is a matter of orthography and I would go with dh as well (Galadhrim, Caras Galadhon).

2. dh/ð vs. d:

I belive this is anglicization in the 1930s -- 1950s, but by the time of The Shibboleth of Feanor we have maed 'shapely' and a Sindarization of a name. At this point I believe the d is simply d not anglicized dh (and the old meaning of this character's name is here certainly changed from 'pale glitter').

3. ros vs. ron:

A late change to -ron but one that raises questions as to the status of other 'russa, ros' names from The Shibboleth of Feanor (I'm not aware that Tolkien went back and forth here, as Findegil noted).

The problem of ros

JRRT thought that it was difficult to accept the two homophones occuring in the Eldarin tongues, since they were unconnected in meaning.

Tolkien's solution: characterize the ros of Elros ('foam, spray') as Beorian, leaving the other ros as in Maedros ('red-brown') as Eldarin. This failed because Cair Andros had already been published as meaning 'Ship of Long Foam' in a Sindarin (thus Eldarin) context.

Tolkien's 'later' declaration concerning a change to Maedron might be another solution to this, but the note, at least as commented on, is sparse on detail.

Last edited by Galin; 12-04-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote