View Single Post
Old 02-17-2006, 04:32 PM   #72
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Wulfham

After a short while of sitting on her bedroll leaning up against Nay, Vaenosa stretched her legs out of the cross-legged position. She was getting drowsy and thought she would find somewhere less comfortable that had a better view point. She placed her daggers back in their sheaths and shouldered her bow and quiver. Grabbing Nay's reins she led him towards a large tree that overlooked the fire and the sleeping people. She left Nay to graze at the bottom while, she scrambled her way up to a large branch. She leaned her back against the bark and stretched her legs out in froint of her.

She was enjoying the brisk breeze and the darkness that crept up on the borders of their camp, when Nay began to prance nervously with his nostrels flaired and his ears back. Then came the low growl and the horses screams. Vaenosa squinted in the darkness and made out a tawny outline and the flash of feline eyes. It was a female and she was stalking the horses with the intent of eating at least one of them.

Vaenosa stealthily pulled her bow and a single arrow from her back. She quietly lined up and pulled back on the string. She would take her time, kill the animal as it crouched in the longer grass. She let out a slow prolonged breathe, she was aiming directly for the cat's head. When out of the corner of her eye she saw Dorran jump up from the sounds from the horses. He ran towards Brand, shaking him awake. Now both men were on their feet, shouting for the women to get the horses.

Vaenosa's eyes faultered from her target and she let the arrow go with a twang, it went wild, off in to the bush. Incana screamed and the cat vanished.

Thouroughly enraged with the actions of the group. She shouldered her weapons and lept to the ground, sprinting towards the camp.

"You mindless Fools!" Vaenosa screeched, red faced and out of breath. What did you think I was doing all night? brushing my hair? I saw the cat! I was just about to put an arrow through it's head, but all your screaming scared it away! Now it will be lurking in the shadows waiting for another opportunity to pounce.

We have but two choices; We cower by the fire and hope that we don't fall asleep or it sneaks up at unawares. Or we can hunt down the beast now and put an end to all this! If the cat is that hungry she may follow us a distance hoping we will stop again. Vaenosa stood chest heaving eyes blazing at the people who had ruined her shot.