View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 03:10 PM   #41
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Wulfham

Vaenosa led the way to the wooded area. She kept the group at a fair pace, but held back enough that the four had at least some semblance of riding together. Brand continued to ride at the back, his eyes taking note of the area along the way. For the most part, the ground was rocky soil, and seemed undisturbed by the passage of animal or man or other.

Clumps of low growing bushes grew here and there with the occasional shrubby tree. He had heard that in the long gone days this area had been heavily forested, a green and rolling land. There had been no stories he recalled from his parents or those gatherings at the Lord’s hall which explained it fully and Brand wondered what it was that had happened or who had caused it.

The small, forested area must be a remnant of that long gone forest, he thought as they drew near it and rode under the bare trees. Most of their leaves had already fallen, though a few still bore a few, sere remnants that rattled dryly in the little breeze from off the river.

Dorran volunteered to set up for the midday meal while the others gathered wood for their evening camp. Brand hauled out the coil of slender rope he’d packed and asked that the two women come with him.

The trio had been at their task for a good while - gathering the smaller branches, breaking them into arm lengths and binding them into bundles that could be secured to the horses. At one point, Brand drew near where Vaenosa was working and keeping himself at a distance still from her, he began to speak.

‘I’d ask a favor of you, Vaenosa. In this task the March-warden has set us, I’d like to keep my place at the back of the group as we ride. Shepherd as I am, that’s the place I think my skills can best be used. You’re a good rider, as you’ve shown this first day out. If you’ll set the pace, I’ll keep my eyes and ears open for any unusual signs in the areas we pass through that might bode ill for us.’

He turned back to the bundle of wood he’d gathered and crouching down, began to bind it at either end. ‘Oh, and as we must all depend on one another to get through this journey safely,’ he spoke low, almost as an after thought. ‘We should try to stay in sight of each other. Should we be attacked from the rear, I would like to know you would be near enough to ride back and give me aid.’

Brand stood, flexing his back to work the soreness from it. He picked up several of the bundles he’d bound and balanced them on his shoulders. His stomach rumbled loudly, protesting its lack of food. ‘I sure hope Dorran’s dug deep and found us something good to eat. And tea,’ he said his steps taking him in the direction of their small camp. ‘It would be nice to have something hot to drink. The day grows colder . . .’

Last edited by Arry; 02-09-2006 at 02:18 AM.