Thread: Ambarkanta
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 07:16 PM   #21
gandalf85
Wight

gandalf85 has just left Hobbiton.
Wow, I think the maps turned out great! Excellent work!

The removals from Map IV: I agree with what you removed. I would keep the Shadowy Isles as it stands.

The Straits of Ice: I think what you added to show the extent of the griding ice is great. It looks like mountains, but that is how Tolkien depicted the Helcaraxë.

Hithaeglir: In chapter 3 of the Silmarillion it says the Hithaeglir were raised by Melkor to hinder the riding of Orome. I think it's safe to assume he settled in Angband before this.

Westernesse: "Westland" makes sense to me.

The Magic Isles and Tol Eressea: In the image you sent, it looks like you removed the Magic Isles but not Tol Eressea? I am hesitant about removing both the Magic Isles and Tol Eressea. I agree that it's weird to have a kind of superposition of maps from different eras in time, but that is personal preference and this is explicitly how Tolkien constructed the map. I would keep The Magic Isles and Tol Eressea, along with the note.

Other notes: In Map IV, "Valinor" is misspelled as "Valionr". Also in Map IV, there looks to be some small text added in before "Easterness" which wasn't in the original map, and I can't read what it says.
gandalf85 is offline   Reply With Quote