View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #46
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBrooke View Post
If you don't mind me asking, which type of ebooks have you made? I'm curious about the process, and have considered trying to make one of some of my out of copyright books...
I have made both ePub and mobi formats, which are able to read by a huge number of ebook reading devices. The two programs you need to do it are Calibre and Sigil, both of which are freeware. Calibre will do the conversions from things like PDFs and RTF files into many different ebook formats, and will allow you to edit the metadata (title, author, sorting method, cover, etc.). Sigil is an editor that will let you take what Calibre puts out and clean it up. It does take time, and the more familiar you are with HTML code, the easier it will be, but you can wind up with a more polished product than the publishing houses crank out. You can also use Sigil and Calibre to clean up sloppy ebooks that aren't locked with DRM.

And thank you for your kind wishes about my recovery. I certainly can feel for you when it comes to insurance saying no to so many things. I pay through the nose for my Epipen because they want me to use an ordinary hypo, but danged if I'm going to be struggling with that when I'm going into anaphylactic shock!