Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 02:12 AM   #8118
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Ah - I didn't see the smaller map in the corner (have only seen the link on my phone) so was originally expecting all Third Age answers.

You mean you can pinpoint exactly where Third Age places are on a First Age map, and vice versa?
Well, I like to think so! The key is this rather uglier map, which uses Section B of the First Lord of the Rings map (from HoME VII) to connect the two. That section is unique in including both Himring and Tol Fuin; with both of those plus the Blue Mountains, it's relatively simple to place Beleriand on the coast of Eriador. (As a nice bonus, and hint that the match is right, I found that the scale-grid on the Silmarillion map was precisely half the size of that on the First Map.)

Quote:
Is A the long elvish name for ATHELAS (ASEA ARANION - aranion is a little bit like Eregion = Hollin) - or maybe ATHELAS itself?
It isn't. 'Rosie' was closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
H might be Hobbiton Ho! Could be a greeting, A metric tonne I think is a thousand kilos and hobbits and rabbits are basically the same thing
Correct! Ho before (over) most of 'rabbit ton'. The fact that my line crossed right through Hobbiton was the point when I was sure I'd do this password.

Quote:
I wonder if T is a river in the sense of 'riving' something in two or destroying it.

Because neither Teiglin/Taeglin, Thalos nor Thistle Brook seem to contain any of the cryptic elements of the clue.

Plus 'river' sounds a bit too easy. Not sure anyone has ever written it that straight in a clue ... usually if someone is indicating that the answer is a river, they will say flower / it flows / say it's damp / etc.
No, who would do something like that? <_< >_>

... actually, you got the answer in there. It is THALOS; now tell me why. ^_^

DIMBAR - A dull pub between the rivers.
OSSIRIAND - I say: Oh sir! I hand this damp place (to you).
REGION - An area, with trees.
LINDON - A little later, the shortened line of Italian nobles stands on the shore.
A? -- By a slightly longer name, would still smell as sweet, and probably of holly.
THALOS - Big, purple, fancy glove - no, sorry, I misread, it's just a river.
HOBBITON - A cry of greeting over most of a thousand kilos of rabbits, just outside the door.
THOUSAND CAVES - You send, formally and pretty much, Latin cautions underground.
O? -- A division without us? Normally after a short monster where the capital stands.
LHUN - Attila in bad French runs towards a haven.
OLD FOREST - I am aged, I am off to bed, I am just west of here.
RATHLORIEL - In anger and the voice of the laws of Hell, name me a second time after the battle.
I? -- Hell, Mike reversed into a pit and found the leader a step in.
ESTOLAD - He stole ads? You'd never hear it once in the camp.
NELDORETH - A scrambled article, a stick, and a singular lens got turned around in the woods.

A, O, and I to go.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote