View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 04:14 PM   #17
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
The return of the True King was, I think, something Gandalf realised would be necessary. In Aragorn & Arwen the bloodlines of Men, Elves & Maiar are united & passed on through the ruling house. It is the ideal situation to leave Middle-earth in. I think Gandalf has realised this & this has become his goal - no doubt discussed with Elrond.

In short, I don't think Aragorn's succession is an 'optional extra' or merely a 'nice touch' to bring about a happy ending as far as Gandalf is concerned. He may not have been sent by the Valar with that specific goal in mind, but I think as time went on he would have come to include it in his mission
I don't believe that you are laying enough emphasis on...

Quote:
And for my part, I shall not wholly fail of my task, though Gondor should perish, if anything passes through this night that can still grow fair or bear fruit and flower again in days to come.
This I think is the clearest statement of what Gandalf really cared about that one will find anywhere. He says that Gondor may fall (and at that moment there was no certainty that Aragorn would win through and survive the war to become king). The success of his mission did not depend on Aragorn's triumph.