View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #15
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
I also think that you perhaps overstate the return of the king as being part of Gandalf's mission. While it would be nice, I don't think Gandalf (in a "mission from the Valar" sense) considered it vital. His job was to defeat Sauron. He was using Aragorn as much as he was using Denethor. Obviously things would turn out a little better (if you want to look at it that way) for Aragorn than Denethor under this arrangement. I guess it is true that Gandalf was not particularly concerned about that.
I think you're probably right about it not being a part of his mission. After all, Gandalf was around for a thousand years BEFORE either line of the kings died out. If it had been a part of his mission, I imagine that he and Saruman (he was a goodguy then, remember) could have restored the line of the kings a fair bit earlier, or supported Arvedui's claim. Or something...