View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 03:09 AM   #24
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
Interesting. Common sense is screaming at me that you can't destroy the sun and the moon and that the world isn't flat. I need to read the Silmarillion. Might I ask how Morgoth destroyed the sun and moon?
He didn't.
Not that he didn't desire it. There's a line in Silm about Arien being out of reach.

Middle Earth was a flat world according to the mythology. There was a great battle and an upheaval and lots of general unpleasantness and the earth was eventually 'bent' so that if one wished to go West, they would end up in the East.

Remember, Middle Earth is a mythology.

Now, on the topic of Sauron's lack of death...

I think what is striking about the difference between Morgoth and Sauron is that Morgoth is thrust from the world into a sort of 'hell' - the void. His direct influence is removed from Middle Earth. Yet, 'seeds' of his malice remain. Perhaps Sauron was one such seed.
Moreover, one must remember that all evil was not to be destroyed until the final battle. If this was part of Eru's grand plan, or the doom set in motion, perhaps, by the discord in the music, then it may be that that is why Sauron is not utterly removed from the world. He is neutralised and made to watch the world without influencing it. (Morgoth can't even watch, poor bloke). So, if there is this grand plan idea (not unthinkable if Tolkien took certain theistic views), some 'doom' for all evil, perhaps it's almost as if Sauron has been put into storage. Kept to wait for the end. A little, perhaps, like Loki, being chained until Ragnarok?