View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Am wondering - why didn't Ar-Pharazon try to take the Ring from Sauron when he took him prisoner? I take it Sauron had him in a kind of spell, since he managed the Downfall of Numenor though his "imprisonment." If Ar-P desired immortality, the Ring would have given him that - after a fashion. Maybe Sauron deflected this with a very lyrical hard sell about invading Valinor.

Or perhaps this is told in more depth somewhere else (Unfinished Tales, perhaps), and I've forgotten it.
Odds are, Pharazôn didn't know anything of the One Ring. The best source of information on the subject would have been the Eldar in Middle-earth, and Pharazôn wouldn't have been disposed to ask them anything.

Even if legends of the Rings of Power remained in Númenor, I can see Pharazón convincing himself the tales, with an "Elvish" origin, weren't worth worrying over.

Last edited by Inziladun; 10-13-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote