View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #156
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Kórin had never been angrier than she had been today, and it was starting to seem like every dwarf who thought himself important was doing his best to belittle her. She should not have been the least bit surprised at Nali’s treatment of her arrival alongside her brother, but part of her had believed that he would not turn away any dwarf in this time of need. Foolishly.

“I have given thee a chance with Lord Trór but if thou art looking for more trouble or a boon I am afraid that I shall be of little assistance in granting either…”

His words were like salt on a wound, only Kórin did not feel hurt so much as slighted and demeaned. He had so nobly given her a “chance” to what? Gain Trór’s favor? Be a good dwarf? And of course he expected her now to either act out of spite like a child or beg for his help.

“I am not looking for anything, sir,” Kórin began, trying reasonably to keep her voice calm but putting little respect behind the title she addressed Nali with. “I am here as another axe. I am sure even Lord Trór will not be so upset about receiving two soldiers when he only demanded one.”

Of course, he had never referred to anyone as a soldier or a warrior, he had only spoken of cowardice. Showing what he truly thinks about the people he now leads, she thought darkly.

Once again she ignored Kór’s gaze, though her brother only looked at her curiously. He knew quite well that Kórin had given him but a small piece of her encounter with Trór. She had always had a temper, but he had rarely seen her this angry, and she had never held onto it like this. He would easily admit that Nali’s initial words were rude, but he could see that they had affected Kórin a great deal. And she was not one to let words hurt her.

As surprising was that she managed to hold her tongue quite well, though she certainly seemed angry enough to throw all thought and caution to the wind.