View Single Post
Old 04-29-2004, 04:49 PM   #187
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Thorn

Standing on the warm wet sand, as the first light of dawn touched the sky, Thorn shuddered in its bleak light. Around him lay the smoldering ashes of his leader’s tent, which had been lost as Ayar's watched silently from the blanket Latah had spread out for her a safe distance away. Even now she was still focused, her dark eyes reflecting the flames as she watched Surinen take off his shawl and beat a small blaze that had rekindled in the ruin. Once extinguishing it, the outrider threw mud over the stubborn embers, padding softly through the wreckage, hunting for others that threatened.

Calling her daughter to her side, Ayar spoke to her quietly, before closing her eyes and rolling onto her back. Immediately Narika arose, and crossing over to the blackened sand, she approached Thorn touching his elbow to gain his attention. "What is it?" Thorn asked in a whisper, seeing now Ayar laying with her eyes tightly shut. He wondered if she might be growing worse once more.

"My mother requests that we find our shelter in the tent of your family, Thorn,” she said distractedly, as though something of greater weight was troubling her. “She has sent me to tell you this."

"My own mother would welcome you gladly, but you had said that Yalisha is now in the encampment,” Thorn ventured, searching her face. “Would you truly rest easy with this?"

"It is my mother's wish, and she must be moved before the sun further weakens her," Narika replied. “But that is not all. My mother said that the one Surinen calls Rôg spoke to her in our own language."

Thorn pondered the revelation. How was it that this stranger could know such a thing? “This is most unexpected. But they will be all right for now. I have set Narayad guard over them."

"Some may not see that as a good choice I am afraid, even though these men apparently bear us no ill will,” said under her breath.

"Because he is not born of our clan?” Thorn said with an exasperated laugh. “Do not worry; he has a stout heart and strict disposition. What better way to prove his fidelity, then to keep watch over this doddering man and his companion? He is to be trusted, more than our own, for he is a member of the Eagle clan by his own choosing, not by the random chance of birth."

“Yes I know, but there are many others who would not agree with that view.”

Thorn knew that she was referring to the elders, some of who saw Narayad as a potential liability. But the respected elder, Fador, had surprisingly taken up this maenwaith drifter’s cause and had even given his blessing upon the outrider’s union with his only daughter Latah, further cementing his place in the clan, and the young man enjoyed his protection, to the chagrin of the majority of elders. “Well, after this many years you would think they would recognize good character when they see it,” he spat out.

Walking toward a group of young men, who stood by the water tank lamenting its level, Narika followed him. “We can not discount their opinions either, Thorn,” she said as she hurried along side.

“No we can not,” Thorn conceded. “But how would you have him be useful to the clan? By watching the flocks like a small child? And would Fador agree to that? I do not think so.”

“Then do you think that the elders are wrong to be cautious?” She asked candidly. Thorn stopped, turning to face her in the first warm blush of sunrise.

“No I do not think they are wrong in their wariness, only in their prejudice. Not all in a clan have a single mind and single will. True Narayad rebelled against his leader’s wish, but with good cause and in agreement with the ways of this people! Perhaps the elders fear the strength of his convictions!”

With that Thorn left Narika to join the young men, asking their help to transport Ayar to his family’s tent. And despite his initial reaction to her frank question, he found that he was asking himself, what if he was wrong? Had not the elders more wisdom than he? And so he decided to send Surinen also to the lean-to, for the bread baker’s son understood many tongues, indeed more than he could speak, and he would be an acceptable guard in the eyes of the elders.