View Single Post
Old 09-23-2003, 08:39 PM   #357
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah curses, I had hoped to avoid gazumping you Nerindel and have ended up doing it all the same. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] My apologies!

You are correct that Naiore would sense another reaching for her. She doesn't read thoughts but is remarkably sensative to the emotions of others (a variation on Galadriel's abilities, to whom Naiore is related as is of course Vanwe). Vanwe's abilities could be developed in any number of ways.

That's why Naiore is concerned about Vanwe. Her daughter may use abilities inherited from her mother and kin to bring about Naiore's demise. In fact, Vanwe's abilities are largely undeveloped, a calculated consequence of leaving her with those unskilled in such Elven crafts (the Harardrim). They tend are healing, though, and take an artistic path. Can't forget her father is a Bard, and so she would also have a love of language and song.

I imagine that based on this, Vanwe will prove adept at learning languages. She presently only has Common Tongue, with limited literacy and numeracy. But she needs none of these things to heal.

Imladris and Everdawn I will be sending Barrold out on his errands for Naiore on the following day. I expect him to be searching for horses, poisons and of course, information.

My plan was for Barrold to inform Naiore that Menecin yet lived, and is at Imladris. Barrold being Barrold, it's unlikely he'd come across that tidbit or even know it's value, by fratenising with Rangers and Elves.

So, I figured that perhaps Barrold would get this from one of your characters in his interaction with them. They'd know that Barrold was in the market for some items that they'd make a tidy profit on and things could unfold from there.

Based on that, your characters get their introduction to Naiore and the chance to get a cut of the action/profits through Barrold.

Imladris, I realised that I have still left one of your questions unanswered. You asked why Naiore hates Menecin.

Their relationship is a complicated and tangled one. Naiore once loved him, as far as she left herself that is. She's a tightly controlled creature, and to truly love means to let go and open yourself. I doubt if she ever truly did that ever, even in the early days.

At first, Naiore would have hated what Menecin represented. Marriage to him would for Naiore mean capture, imprisionment. She would have felt contempt for his apparent blindness to the things she saw. She would have found his love a weakness, a thing to cloy her mind and life.

Menecin, though, loves with all he has. He is a creature of depth in emotion and mind. It was Naiore's unusual nature that drew him to her. She was like a muse, and the relationship developed to be more. When she left, he was devastated. Menecin was one of the most vocal who thought she had been taken.

He pursued her, hoping to somehow save her. He did not know he was attempting the impossible, to save her from herself, because he did not see into the depths of her heart. Naiore never let him. Menecin became driven, hunting her trail, refusing to believe the rumours until the disaster of the Gladden Fields.

When Naiore once again became known to her people, and this time as their foe, it became harder for Menecin to ignore the truth. Still, he claimed that she was in thrall. He had seen those in thrall to Morgoth in the First Age. He watched their torment, rejected by their people should they survive to escape. He loved Naiore despite all this and refused to abandon her to a smiliar fate.

The woman Menecin loved was a lie, but he did not know it yet. He pursued her doggedly through the years and the hunt took a terrible toll on his spirit. He changed, became dark and brooding. At times bitterly angry and others stricken by grief, Naiore became an obsession. He never knew how close he came to tripping her up over the years.

Eventually, Naiore turned to her past to deal with Menecin. He was, in a way, her first victim. His long deterioration and hopless quest was one cruel torture. He represented all Naiore thought she had risen above. She abandoned Sauron's service for a time to see to her own needs. Displeased, Sauron allowed this once he knew what his servant was doing. One Elf destroying another suited him fine.

Naiore set up Menecin so that he found her at last in a desolate place in the wilds. She had him fall on a raggle taggle band of orcs that she feigned had been tormenting her. Menecin was a fell creature. Fuelled by the discovery of his love, he fought as though he were possessed.

Naiore allowed him to slay the orcs and began perhaps her most terrible Ravenning ever. She allowed Menecin to think her saved at long last. She gulled him and Menecin was only too willing to believe. He had his love back once more. For Naiore, she was curious to see how far she could push love, how it worked. When she tired of her game, she attacked Menecin.

Her violence was viscious. Unlike occassions before, she was moved by personal passions that ran deep. This was no task appointed to her. This was her own. Menecin was too much of a hindrance that may trip her up at an inconvenient time. He was baggage when all was said and done. She thought she had disposed of him accordingly.

Menecin survived, barely. Naiore moved on, free of her past and believing that a glorious future awaited from her. That Menecin did not die will represent a personal failure for Naiore. That will not be acceptable. She'll further think that Menecin is in cohoots with Vanwe and thinks to use their daughter against her.

Menecin is quite mad, but even so would never match the depths to which Naiore will sink in order to see her will done.

So, for all those reasons, Naiore will hate Menecin with an implacable passion for he represents weakness and a past she would deny, as well as failure. Menecin's existance threatens to make all Naiore has worked for and all she believes in a lie. For he loves still, as much as he hates her now. Love cannot exist if fear is the root of all existance, all emotion, thought and action.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight