Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 01:49 AM   #9960
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Teleri/Sindar?
Debatably also 'no in the same sense'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
According to who...Well Melkor was a thief according to...everyone, but mainly Feanor.

And Bilbo was a "burglar" according to the Dwarves and Smaug.

And Frodo was a thief according to Gollum (at least in the movies Gollum directly called Frodo a thief. I don't remember the books very well).

And technically Luthien and Beren were thieves since they stole the Silmarils from Melkor.

I don't recall anyone being directly called a robber. Maybe the Sackville Baggins for stealing Bilbo's spoons?
Tolkien would almost certainly have distinguished between burglar (breaks into a house to steal stuff), thief (steals from someone without their knowledge) and robber (steals from someone by threat or use of force). Melkor, Bilbo, and Beren and Luthien were all burglars; Bilbo (for the Ring) and Lobelia were thieves. I believe the burglary trumps the use of force in Melkor's case, though I can't say for sure. Ungoliant was an (attempted) robber when she attacked Melkor. It's not her, though.

In this case, the word is straight from the text. Whether it's true or not... ah, that would be telling.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote