View Single Post
Old 09-20-2003, 11:18 AM   #29
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Look at the temptation of the ring again. One of the biggest signs that someone was corrupted by the ring was that they desired it. People who managed to avoid its corruption wanted nothing to do with it (Gandalf, Elrond, Faramir). If they had a desire for the ring, then they were giving into the ring's temptation of power, plain and simple.
Agreed on everything, except this: if one the Wise, or now we know only Gandalf could do this, say Gandalf would take the Ring he wouldn't desire it, he would be needing it. No desire would he feel to wield this Ring, yet he knows he's the only one who can wield it, except Sauron. He takes it willingly, because there's no other way, not because of the desire to take it.

And it my belief that this quote,:

Quote:
'Could we not still send messages to him and obtain his help?' asked Erestor. 'It seems that he has a power even over the Ring.'
'No, I should not put it so,' said Gandalf. 'Say rather that the Ring has no power over him.'
means that, those who could wield the Ring would be the ones that the Ring couldn't overpower. The Rings ability to corrupt it's bearer heart and mind stands apart from this, so the wielder would still be corrupted. Yet the Dominion over the Wielder wouldn't be, because the Ring couldn't overpower it's master.

Quote:
Unless it suits its purpose. If it has enough of a hold it could make its owner do (or trick them into doing) whatever it wanted.
Therefore I believe this could never happen, for the Ring would never overpower it's Wielder.

greetings again,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote