View Single Post
Old 09-09-2003, 11:27 AM   #10
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you Eomer,
your explanations is pointing out that the point can be explained otherwise, yet I'm not convinced. The style and words chosen to say this where, in my believe, like one who believes that he talks to a powerles slave.

As for your question,

Saruman knew he could overthrow Sauron with the Ring, and he could. The people in M-e with the greatest powers: Galadriel, Gandalf, Saruman, Elrond etc..

A few points from the book:
- Gandalf to Frodo, if he is asked to keep the Ring: 'No! Do not give it to me, do not tempt me, I dare not keep this Ring.' He knew he would be ensnared and become the Dark Lord himself.

- Galadriel after Frodo offered the Ring to here: 'Instead of a Dark Lord you would set up a Dark Queen, stronger than the foundations of the World.

Saruman would fit into the row as well, and therefore be powerful enough to overthrow Sauron, if he had the Ring.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote