View Single Post
Old 12-29-2004, 01:55 PM   #15
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Let's face it, though, there is no-one (& there never will be) with Tolkien's knowledge of Middle earth, its languages, history & peoples and his storytelling abilities. Tolkien's creation was constantly evolving, & was never at any time 'fixed'. How could anyone step into his shoes?
Indeed. The creation of Arda was an entire lifetime's work, and so how could anyone possibly follow that? The very fact that sites such as this exist and thrive is due to the fact that we are not merely discussing a film or a book, but one man's entire lifetime's work.

Quote:
I'd say a greater danger to Middle-earth -- if in fact it really is a danger -- is the possibility that control of the Estate will fall into the hands of a less fastidious custodian than Christopher following his death.
That's a frightening thought. There is enough controversy as it is, I can't imagine what will happen after that sad event. By way of example, after Plath died her estate passed to the Hughes family, and it caused a huge amount of trouble for scholars as they wished to keep much private - whether this was right or wrong I would not like to say, but argument raged for many years.