View Single Post
Old 09-02-2004, 10:26 AM   #677
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

Fáinu was walking down the road from the south, he just went passed Cotton's farm. Next to him, riding on a pony was an old Dwarf. He looked very old, for a dwarf, he had a long but worn beard that was grey, and the green hooded cloak upon his back was battered and torn. He had some traditional Dwarf travelling gear on as well as a sturdy axe near at hand.

"I cannot say that I am surprised." Said the Dwarf, "After all, it had been many years now. And regret like that can grow and eat you heart!"

"Indeed," Said Fáinu, "These days, I know little of what I should do. Go back to Imladris, or wander around. A friend told me about Rohan today, Perhaps I shall go thither."

"Rohan?" Laughed the Dwarf, "that is a long way away, though the paths aren’t dangerous any more. I would still advise against it."

"Why?" Asked Fáinu, "What is wrong with Rohan?"

"I know not, for certain," Replied the Dwarf, "But the world has changed, the elves are leaving, and men still have little trust of them. Even the Dwarves are shunned at times."

"We all thought that trouble would be over when Sauron fell." Said Fáinu sadly.

"Hush!" cried the Dwarf, "Do not speak that name so loudly here! Perhaps tidings have not come to some who would still follow the dark one."

"Perhaps," Fáinu's voice was sad and he seemed to be half in a waking dream.

They came up the road to the Green dragon. Fáinu turned to go inside, but noticed that the dwarf did not dismount.

"Will you not join me for a cup of ale?" he asked,

"No," replied the Dwarf, "The stuff hurts my thought, and I have business to attend to, Farewell." with that he rode off down the road towards Hobbiton.

Fáinu pushed open the door and stepped inside. This time, there were no Hobbits giving him foul looks, mainly as they were drunk. He looked around the room and saw Adu, still sitting alone by the fire. She looked deep in thought, so did not disturb her. He ordered a drink and sat at a table close to where Adu was sitting, so that if she wished to speak with him again, he was close at hand.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-04-2004 at 07:06 AM.