View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 07:09 AM   #664
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

Fáinu sat a while in silence, not sure of how to react to this tale of grief and misery. He sat back in his chair and thought, the crackle of the fire seemed to be growing to an eerie echo in his mind and he looked unhappy.

"Physical pain, can go away," he echoed, "But grief will not. Still in my dreams the words of the Dragon and the screams of Dale go on, gnawing at me. But now, I am rambling."

Fáinu smiled at her hoping to cheer her, he knew how hard it was to retrieve old hurts from afar. He knew, if a little, of the pain she bore. For he had to watch his family being consumed in flame, and that was a nightmare that marred his sleep.

"What do you plan to do now?" he asked, though he knew he could not answer if she asked the same of him, "I wish that I could go back to the house of Elrond, but something draws me away, and it is not longing for the sea."

Adu sat quite still, this slightly surprised Fainu, for on many occasions where he had mentioned the sea, elves would become mournful and regain their longing. She perhaps had too many hurts and did not believe that there was healing in Aman, or maybe, she had been told false stories of it. He could not tell.

Fáinu got up and asked for another drink form the bar, he received one and sat back down by the fire. He drank a little and then sat back, the sound of Hobbit talk seemed to be growing. A few were getting drunk and singing. Adu smiled a little at this as some acted foolishly. Fáinu leaned forward and looked at her.

"Where do you live now if not in Rohan?" he asked, "Here in the Shire?"

She at first made no answer; perhaps she was distracted a little by the merriment and silly behaviour of the surrounding Hobbits. The sounds of an argument could be heard in the kitchen, Still the Hobbit was being told off for forgetting about the kettle.