View Single Post
Old 08-24-2004, 03:37 AM   #643
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
“But I hope there is no shadow on me. You don’t think that? Do you?”

‘To be quite honest, for I see you ask that question in all earnestness, I cannot say one way or the other. I have not known you long or seen you often enough in your commerce with others.’ He leaned back in his chair, thoughtful as he looked at her. ‘You appear fair and your speech seems forthright. But appearances can deceive even the wisest of men. And I am far from wise.’ He looked consideringly at her, noting she did not flinch under his gaze. ‘I’m one to accept you at first meeting,’ he went on. ‘I’ll assume from the first that you are as you present yourself . . . I prefer to give you that chance. And from then on, either your actions will bear that out or they will show your true nature.’

Derufin pulled the pot of fireweed honey that had been left on the table near the teapot to him, helping himself to a generous spoonful of the sweet stuff for his own mug of tea. The sound of his spoon clinking against the sides of his mug as he stirred the honey in was loud in the quiet pause.

‘In some way, we all have some shadow on us,’ he said in a soft voice. ‘Or so I’ve come to believe. It’s how we handle the temptation the shadowy part of us is heir to that proves our mettle.’ He sipped at his tea as he considered his next words. ‘I should like to think that someone who works with the growing of plants, whose fingers sink deep into the dirt to help it bring forth the beauty of flowers . . . that this sort of someone is one to be relied on for their firmness of character, their integrity.’ He nodded toward Andwise. ‘As is someone whose hands craft wood or other materials with great skill and care . . .’ Derufin laughed, recalling the oft time criticism of his more cautious acquaintances. ‘Some say it is my folly . . . but I say it puts the burden where it belongs . . . on the other to show me the rightness of my trust by their actions.’

‘What “I” think is really of little importance . . . what you “do”, is . . .’

Derufin's chair scraped back from the table, and he stood up, offering her his hand in assistance. ‘But enough of this grave conversation!’ he grinned, blowing away the previous weighty words with a laugh. ‘What do you say we walk back to the cottage – you and Andwise and I? Have a look-see at the flowerbeds. See what you want to do with them. We have about six days to get things in order. And Master Proudfoot has offered the services of his two grandsons for the digging up of things and any heavy work you require. I’ll get Aman to set you up with a room in the Inn as a worker; Cook will see to it that your meals are provided.’

‘I am curious,’ he said as they ambled back toward the cottage. ‘Curious about something you said – “But we did not see that they were touched with shadow. And we were not cautious. It is all as the result of shadow that you see me here today.” What did you mean by this?’