View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 03:36 PM   #642
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Jinniver’s pale eyes had widened with fear when she heard Andwise mention the tale she had heard related in the inn on the previous evening. She had almost thought to herself that this tale had been a mere horror story, but from what Andwise said, it was plainly true. She kept hold of her knife, remembering the black dagger of the tale. Wherever this Annuminas was, it was too close for comfort. She told herself to be sure to include in her message a note to her father to remember to lock the kitchen door at bedtime.

She was shaken from her thoughts by the teasing of the hobbit lasses and welcomed the chance to giggle along with them, laughing aloud when Derufin was given a white handkerchief by one of the hobbit lads. Spotting the remains of the blackberry tart, she took another small helping for herself and listened as Derufin became serious once more.

‘Safe enough, I think. Though, as with anything as ever has been touched with shadow, it’s best to err on the side of caution.’ Jinniver nodded at what Derufin had to say. Nowhere, she thought, was this more true than in Bree.

“After those black riders had terrorised the Pony, I was been forbidden from going there alone. Certain…men…had already come to Bree, “she said haltingly, choosing her words carefully. “And they had gained our trust, difficult as that is with a Breelander. But we did not see that they were touched with shadow. And we were not cautious. It is all as the result of shadow that you see me here today.”

Jinniver gulped down a spoonful of the tart and had to wash it down with cider so she did not choke. Trying to steel herself after her awkward speech, she urgently said “But I hope there is no shadow on me. You don’t think that? Do you?”