View Single Post
Old 10-24-2003, 11:58 AM   #19
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gee, in the book they bought all kinds of supplies before leaving Bree, including a long bartering session with good ol' Bill Ferny (well, maybe not so good ). There's nothing in the movie to suggest they didn't have that opportunity as well.<P>As for why not until Weathertop, that's easy, because from a pacing perspective it was the most appropriate place. Remember in the theatrical version, they leave Bree, we get a couple of traveling shots, the apple incident and then Weathertop. One of the things that makes Fellowship such an enjoyable film is that PJ doesn't allow trivial plot points to interfere with the flow of the narative. If he did, you would have felt every minute of that three hours sitting in the theatre.<P>If you wanted to invent a reason Aragorn waited until Weathertop, it's pretty simple. In the wild, Aragorn was confident in his ability to avoid the riders, but once they approached the road, he knew the chances of encountering the Nazgul grew dramatically. He didn't give the Hobbits swords earlier because he felt there was no need to.<P>The thing is, that really isn't the reason anyway. The first one I gave is.<P>H.C.